Let's Chat Elsewhere:
archive :
|
Bruises or Royalty?
written on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 @ 11:48 PM +
I know what you're thinking - what do bruises have to do with royalty? Is this some disgusting lead-in to abuse or feminism? The answer - nope. Not at all. Rather, this has everything to do with color and what colors can say about us.
My favorite colors, as noted on my blog theme, are purple and grey. When used separately, purple can be a lively color, notably exhibited through fragile flowers and exotic nail polish colors. It's a daring color in neon and a soft color in pastels. Purple used to be considered a royal color.
Now, when paired with grey, which by all accounts is a dreary color and a staple in "sharp" fashions, the entire premise of purple is lost. Suddenly, purple means abysmal and "gothy". I don't really agree with this stereotype. Even as an unabashed "goth" of the late 90's (oh let us forget those days, please), purple and grey don't mean anything medieval to me. But what do they mean?
In fact, they represent an upheaval of my love for black. And yes, I do love my little black dress and high black matte shoes. Almost everything I wear has something black incorporated. Let me restate - I am not a "goth". I just like black. (insert polite smile)
When I take a step outside my comfort zone with purple and grey, I feel... dare I say it, uninhibited? Sexy, even?
To some women, their "sexy" color is bright green, or canary yellow, or the trendiest of all; cherry red. And who doesn't love their cherry red nail polish and blood-red lipstick? My sexy color is purple and I tone it down a little bit with grey. I didn't think there was anything wrong with that - until it gained some negative attention on my blog.
The internet is guaranteed to attract trolls and negativity all around, but I think my daring approach to letting my most personal thoughts fly on my blog is perceived as juvenile... based solely upon the appearance of my blog theme. What a disappointment! Before debuting my article for Mama Natural (found here ), I had a long debate with myself about my blog's theme. "Should I change it? Should I rearrange everything? Should I make it more of a white background with little embellishment?". I went 'round and 'round with myself until I decided, "No, I'm going to keep it exactly the way it is."
Why would I do that?
The answer is simple. This theme is me. Edited by me. Loved by me. Why would I try to be something I'm not with a floral layout or crisp, white background? Why? If this blog is meant to focus on my thoughts and reviews, why would I change it to someone else's wants or someone else's perception of what a "good" blog should be?

I'm not sorry if grey offends you. I'm not sorry if purple offends you.
Purple and grey, though bruise-ish and sometimes "gothy", are me. And well, I'm not that bad all around.
How do colors affect peoples' perceptions of you?
Labels: color, MTC, personal, purple
|
Bruises or Royalty?
written on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 @ 11:48 PM +
I know what you're thinking - what do bruises have to do with royalty? Is this some disgusting lead-in to abuse or feminism? The answer - nope. Not at all. Rather, this has everything to do with color and what colors can say about us.
My favorite colors, as noted on my blog theme, are purple and grey. When used separately, purple can be a lively color, notably exhibited through fragile flowers and exotic nail polish colors. It's a daring color in neon and a soft color in pastels. Purple used to be considered a royal color.
Now, when paired with grey, which by all accounts is a dreary color and a staple in "sharp" fashions, the entire premise of purple is lost. Suddenly, purple means abysmal and "gothy". I don't really agree with this stereotype. Even as an unabashed "goth" of the late 90's (oh let us forget those days, please), purple and grey don't mean anything medieval to me. But what do they mean?
In fact, they represent an upheaval of my love for black. And yes, I do love my little black dress and high black matte shoes. Almost everything I wear has something black incorporated. Let me restate - I am not a "goth". I just like black. (insert polite smile)
When I take a step outside my comfort zone with purple and grey, I feel... dare I say it, uninhibited? Sexy, even?
To some women, their "sexy" color is bright green, or canary yellow, or the trendiest of all; cherry red. And who doesn't love their cherry red nail polish and blood-red lipstick? My sexy color is purple and I tone it down a little bit with grey. I didn't think there was anything wrong with that - until it gained some negative attention on my blog.
The internet is guaranteed to attract trolls and negativity all around, but I think my daring approach to letting my most personal thoughts fly on my blog is perceived as juvenile... based solely upon the appearance of my blog theme. What a disappointment! Before debuting my article for Mama Natural (found here ), I had a long debate with myself about my blog's theme. "Should I change it? Should I rearrange everything? Should I make it more of a white background with little embellishment?". I went 'round and 'round with myself until I decided, "No, I'm going to keep it exactly the way it is."
Why would I do that?
The answer is simple. This theme is me. Edited by me. Loved by me. Why would I try to be something I'm not with a floral layout or crisp, white background? Why? If this blog is meant to focus on my thoughts and reviews, why would I change it to someone else's wants or someone else's perception of what a "good" blog should be?

I'm not sorry if grey offends you. I'm not sorry if purple offends you.
Purple and grey, though bruise-ish and sometimes "gothy", are me. And well, I'm not that bad all around.
How do colors affect peoples' perceptions of you?
Labels: color, MTC, personal, purple
|
about simply mtc
“How glorious it is - and how painful - to be an exception" : Alfred de Musset
Amanda is a seasoned musician of 15+ years, focusing primarily on vocal performance and opera. In her spare time, she crochets hats for children and scrapbooks. Writing has always been a secret passion, as well as vocabulary. She is currently in the process of writing three novels and pursuing an English degree.
As a first time Mother, Amanda is also learning the ropes of peaceful parenting and organic cooking. She is a cloth diapering enthusiast (addict) and a firm activist for Greenpeace and feminism.
Movies and literature have remained a passion for Amanda since childhood. Her favorite book to date is "Self Reliance and Other Essays" by Ralph Waldo Emerson. Her favorite movie, on the other hand, is impossible to name. She loves far too many movies to make a choice.
1. What does MTC stand for?
A lot of things! MTC can be whatever you like it to be, but I happened upon it in a very personal way. For that reason, I won't be sharing the exact meaning, but I will secretly delight in throwing my own enigma variation in your lap. The cheesy musician has finally stepped up to the plate; pause for crickets and stunned silence. Seriously though, make it into whatever you'd like. Make The Cake, Music Theory Champ, Master The Coffee, Moving Tomorrow Colin, ... Be creative.
2. What do you do for a living?
I am a seasoned writer and aspiring novelist. Which basically means I collect an income of oppression and angst. Hey, oppression and angst are pretty tasty - you should try them on for size sometime. I am also a stay-at-home Mother of one and resident Beethoven (testy temperament with a large heart).
3. What's your Son's name? Can we see him?
I will not be sharing his name. I'm sorry! I definitely want to post pictures of him, but in moderation.
As a protective new Mother, I want to keep my baby from internet trolls for as long as humanly possible. One day he'll stumble onto the otherworldly internet, but that day will hopefully be many years from this point. I will refer to him as Mr. Moo, so keep your eyes abreast for future references!
|
tags
frequently searched labels of interest
|
link
coming soon....
|